During Mental Health Awareness Week, we at Hope Therapy have been excitedly looking at all of those wonderful organisations out there that are keen to support people’s mental health.
Earlier this week we shared a video posted by Minx Fitness in Northampton, run by the fabulous Amy King. You can see from Amy’s Facebook page just how committed she is to support people’s mental health https://www.facebook.com/minxfitnessltd
In amongst supporting her client’s fitness and mental health needs, here is what she said to us:
“Often during training sessions my clients and I have quite open and frank discussions… the subject of mental health comes up a lot.
Mental and physical health are so intrinsically linked together that they naturally go hand in hand. Almost working as partners if you like.
There are many studies which have shown that doing physical activity can improve mental health. For example, it can help with:
• Better sleep – by making you feel more tired at the end of the day
• Happier moods – physical activity releases feel-good hormones that make you feel better in yourself and give you more energy
• Managing stress, anxiety or intrusive and racing thoughts – doing something physical releases cortisol which helps us manage stress. Being physically active also gives your brain something to focus on and can be a positive coping strategy for difficult times.
• Better self-esteem – being more active can make you feel better about yourself as you improve and meet your goals
• Reducing the risk of depression – studies have shown that doing regular physical activity can reduce the likelihood of experiencing a period of depression”
If you are in the Northampton area and are looking for support with your physical health or are looking for ways to incorporate exercise into a holistic approach towards supporting your mental health, Amy would be delighted to hear from you.
Phone: 07711 582327